Monday, March 22, 2010

Bringing The Story To Life

I previously posted chapters for a story I’m working on called Unattached. I took them down today because I wanted to start the story over. I found a few websites that had printouts of questions you could “ask” your characters and I thought it would be interesting to see what they had to say.

I’ve done something like this once before for a story I started writing, but I got to a certain point in the story and lost my focus because life just so happened to get in the way. I got pretty far into it before stopping and I had so many notes and details written down, it was just ridiculous – but the characters felt real. Somewhere between then and now I lost that, I jumped into the writing half-cocked and my characters come off being pretty two dimensional. I want to get back that old feeling, the one where the character practically leapt off the page and begged me to have coffee with her.

So like I said, I’m starting over. I’m going to interview the characters and really get to know who they are before I attempt to tell their story, because I think their story is worth telling. It’s light and fluffy at times, and serious and heartbreaking at others, but at the end of the day I think it’s a story that people would want to read and would be able to say, “you know what, I felt like that before.”

So all that being said, I’m going to work on my characters, bring them to life, slowly, yet surely and then tell their story. So…stay tuned and watch them come to life with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails