Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tunes I Heart This Week




This weeks edition of tunes I heart is going to be the top ten songs from the play list for (one of) my newest stories. It's called The Monster's Dolls and it's about a rock star who had a terrible addiction to heroin and breaking hearts. Told from the points of views of the four men she loved during the course of her life, bits and pieces are revealed about who she was, how she got to where she was and the different facets of who she really was, not as a rock star, but as a person. Each of their stories tells the tale of a drastically different person, but all of their versions of her have that one little detail in common: she left them broken hearted.

It sounds dumb when I put it that way, but stories are always better in my head...lol. So without further ado, I give you the tunes I heart this week, The Monster's Dolls version.

10. We Are the Fallen. I know I listed their song Bury Me Alive as one of my favs a few weeks ago, but when I first started scribbling the idea (that's what steve calls it when i lay in bed and write on paper..he says to me, "you scribbling tonight?") they were the first band that popped into my head. Really for this list, I have to say check out their whole CD, Tear the World Down...it's pretty damn good. Best song? Sleep Well, My Angel
Best Line:
Under the ash and the lies,
Something beautiful once here now dies,
And the tears burn my eyes,
As you sit there, all alone.
I just want to come home

9. Anophora. They were a random find band. Their song, Breathe In, Breathe Out, is one that I reserve for dark periods...its like that...

Best Line:
This is more than just coincidence
It’s swimmin’ in my oxygen
It’s pulsin’ in my wrists
No I don’t wanna leave
Say it won’t be me
When the giving hand reaches down
And takes it back

8. One Republic. I've been hearing this song everywhere and it always makes me think...what kind of secrets will people find out about me once I'm dead...I mean I could sit here and say I don't have secrets, but it would be a lie. Everyone has secrets, we all have these dark little desires, nasty inner thoughts, things no one will ever know...at least while we're alive. I have secrets..I have things I don't ever want anyone to find out...but eventually some one will find out. So number eight on the list is Secrets by One Republic.

Best Line:
My life gets kinda boring
Need something that I can confess
Til' all my sleeves are stained red
From all the truth that I've said
Come by it honestly I swear

7. Breaking Benjamin. I have this song on my play list, but for some reason media player hates it and never plays it. However, it played it tonight..maybe its fate..maybe not..whatever..Give Me A Sign is a good song..the lyrics are deep..I love it. 
Best Line:
I'll keep you alive
If you show me the way
Forever - and ever
the scars will remain
I'm falling apart
Leave me here
forever in the dark

6. 30 Seconds to Mars. Back when I was a kid and "My So-Called Life" was the bees knees my sister and I made fun of Jared Leto because he was creepy looking. Then he went and started a hot little rock band. Um, hello...you can sing your butt off. I first heard their song From Yesterday in a preview for this show on Fox about a dude who didn't die and now for the life of me I can not remember what it is called. (haha I googled..it was called "New Amsterdam"). However, the song for this list is not From Yesterday...it's The Kill.
Best Line:
I am finished with you
Look in my eyes
You're killing me, killing me
All I wanted was you

I tried to be someone else
But nothing seemed to change
I know now, this is who I really am inside.
Finally found myself
Fighting for a chance.
I know now, this is who I really am.
 
5. AFI. They have this song called Prelude 12/21. I heard it somewhere once and I fell in loved. It's like seven kinds of  RAWR! it totally works for the story.
Best Line:
This is what I brought you,
this you can keep...
kiss my eyes
and lay me to sleep
 
4. Halestorm. This was my staple band last summer. I think I listened to their CD more than any other CD ever. The song, Familiar Taste of Poison is fab and totally fits the character as well as her addiction.
Best Line:
the sweet escape is always laced
with a familiar taste
of poison
3. Within Temptation. The lead singer of this group has this crazy voice...crazy good...she sings so high..its almost like opera...or something. I love the song Forgiven. the lyrics are so pretty and relate so well to the story and the idea of it..
Best Line:
Couldn't save you from the start
Love you so it hurts my soul
Can you forgive me for trying again
Your silence makes me hold my breath
Oh, time has passed you by

2. Three Days Grace. Hi, in case I haven't told you..I totally love this band. for realzTDG just so happens to be one of the bands I love...I love the song Break...mostly cuz he says that tonight he feels like a vampire...yeah I'm shallow and obsessed that way, but seriously..all the hot guys are vampires, so pony up brother, that's a band wagon I so want to ride..lol
Best Line:
I won't stop
I wont say Ive had enough
tonight I break
break away from everybody
away from everything

1. Evanescence. I just found out they are coming out with a new CD (wooty woot woot woot!) this fall...and the new single from that CD, Together Again, is just as good as any of their old stuff...so double woot
Best  Line:
Never thought that I'd be leaving you today
So alone and wondering why I feel this way
So wide the world
Can love remember how to get me home to you
Someday

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails