Monday, August 24, 2009

Squeeeaaak! Squeeeeaaak! What's that sound? Oh just me dragging my soapbox out again...

That's nice right?

No, it's not. This is a billboard that went up in Jacksonville earlier this summer. And for those who don't know...Jacksonville, is like, right around the corner from me. Well, not really but you get the message. I am a huge supporter of animal rights and stopping animal cruelty and PETA does a wonderful service in being a voice for animal rights; but this is just wrong.

How many overweight people out there support PETA's cause I wonder? Who knows, but if I was one of them who did, and was overweight, and say this, you can bet your sweet ass that PETA wouldn't see another pretty penny from my oversized pockets.

I could go buy an extra cupcake with the money I was going to donate to PETA. And I can say that because I'm chunky...and I like cupcakes. And this doesn't offend me because I like cupcakes...or because I'm not as thin as I used to be. I don't rightly care how much some one weighs, especially myself. I am beautiful the way I am...20 extra pounds and all..that's not the point. The point is, they are blantantly calling overwieght women whales.

And not only that, but in a lot of PETA ads, they seem to target women. Playboy bunnies who put on lettuce bikinis and strut around eating veggie dogs, a woman made up as a cute little mouse in a bikini stuck to a glue trap. Why are women the targets here. Why not toss a hot dude dressed as a cute little mouse, donning a mankini up on a billboard everyone in a while? Why do they have to objectify women?

Why, I wonder, are women objectified as objects, instead of people? Is that how the world sees us, as playthings or pretty little adornments, stripped down and slutted up for all the world to see?

And why, ladies, do we allow ourselves to been treated this way?

1 comment:

  1. this is wrong on a whole other level. I can't believe they would do such a thing. I am so mad.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails