Friday, March 26, 2010

Script Frenzy

I found out about a challenge that takes place in April called Script Frenzy. It is where you write a 100 page screenplay in 30 days. I've never written a screenplay before but I've written three and a half novels (the half novel is still a work in progress) so how hard could a screen play be? I mean, there's no where near as much detail in a screen play as there is in a novel, (which totally works for me...lol) so I decided why not try? It might be fun.

I got the title first, (which for me never happens), and I spent days, yes days, trying to figure out what the heck the story would be about. When I really started thinking about it, I thought of a young girl who finds a journal in her grandmother's basement, in the journal is the story of a young woman back in the 20's who falls in love with a man, who leaves for some unseen reason and she winds up marrying someone else.

Kind of cliched, right?

Yeah, I thought so too.

So I went back to square one and thought about the title: Fall of the Fairytale. What could that mean? The demise of a fairytale, or the autumn of a fairytale. I liked the first idea the best, the demise of the overly cliched, oh look at my happily ever after ending. Life doesn't work like that. You don't always get your happily ever after.

In this story there would be an ending, it would be happy, but the main character wouldn't waltz away with her Prince Charming. Instead, she got Prince Charming's, younger, not as suave, not as sexy, brother, Prince Slightly Less Charming. He, Prince SLC loved the main character, and she him, but no where near as much as she loved Prince Charming. She stayed with Prince SLC because she made a commitment to him and he did, after all, love her. Didn't his happiness count too?

In a sense its like Romeo and Juliet and Shakespeare in Love. Romeo and Juliet have this tragically flawed love affair and poor Paris is left...alone, without a bride and quite honestly looking foolish. Shakespeare and Viola have this love affair, but she marries Lord Wessex and sails to Virginia with him, leaving Shakespeare (and quite possibly herself) seriously heartbroken.

There are no happily ever afters there either.

So anyway, I was editing my page on the Script Frenzy website, adding my screen play title and stuff like that. I scroll down and it asks for something called a "logline."

Five mouse clicks and a trip to Wikipedia later, I found out a logline is a quick blurb that tells the world about your screen play.

I'm the worst at the whole "explain your work in one sentence or less" game but this time I think I might have nailed it. Maybe, maybe not. So without further ado here is my "logline:"

"Sometimes, there are fairy tales that were never meant to be written, loves that were never meant to be had, and decisions that will break your heart...and sometimes, sometimes the fairy tales are written, the love is felt and decisions made that will irrevocably change your life."

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails