Thursday, October 14, 2010

Two Promises

I wrote this, first because it's been rolling around in my head for a few weeks now, and also because it fit in with the October Creative Short Story Challenge in The Written Voice. I'm thinking that it might be my next story.

Who knows, I sure don't.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

* * *



Dear Diary, the book began. Closing it, I placed the weathered, leather bound book on the floor beside the gaping hole. I glanced into the hole, wondering what other treasures the darkness withheld.

"What'd you find?" Will asked, peeking down at the floor.

I shrugged and picked up the diary, handing it to Will. He turned it over, running his fingers over the cracked spine.

I reached into the hole, feeling around for more hidden treasures. My fingers closed over empty air, the diary being the only treasure hidden within this secret space. Will opened the cover, flipping through the pages. "This looks interesting. Listen: Nicholas set sail this morning, the sky was grey and angry as the Two Promises sailed into the harbor."

"Will," I said, brushing the dirt from my hands onto the leg of my jeans. "You shouldn't read that, its...personal." I reached for the diary, but Will was quicker, he held the diary just out of my reach.

"Emmalyn," he said. "It's just an old journal, what harm could it cause?"

"None," I said reluctantly. "It just feels wrong. Whoever wrote this, well, they're her personal thoughts. We have no right to read it."

Will sighed and handed me the journal. "If you say so. I just think that maybe you might find some good info in there, you know, for your next novel."

I frowned, taking the book, turning it over in my hand. It was old; the yellowed pages told me as much. What harm would it do if I were to read it?

None, my subconscious answered.  So find a comfortable chair and dive right in.

I looked around the stuffy attic for a chair. Finding none, I carried to book downstairs, passing Will as he came out of the bathroom. He took in the book with a smug smile.

"So you are going to read it," he said.

I shrugged. "Its not going to hurt anything, so what the heck. Besides, the boat name is gnawing at my curiosity."

"What's so curious about Two Promises?"

"Why two promises," I answered. "Why not one, or even five. What's the meaning?"

Will smiled and dropped a kiss on my cheek. "I love the way your mind works. Enjoy your diary."

I sat down on the sun warmed cushion of the window seat and propped my feet up. A boat gliding across the harbor caught my attention and I watched the linen white sails billowing in the crisp New England breeze.

"Okay diary," I said opening to the first page. "Let's see what've you got hidden inside."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails