Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crazy Coupon Lady

A few weeks ago, I was bored so I sat down with my tablet and my handy dandy Netflix app and started watching this show called Extreme Couponing.

I've seen a few episodes, namely the one where one lady practically had a super mini mart in her basement. I sat there watching, thinking, dude, these bitches are crazy.

Then, the bug bit me.

I have a friend that coupons, and she was always posting lists of stuff she got for free or for practically free on Facebook. I asked her to show me what it was all about and she did.

I started "couponing" a few weeks ago. I now understand why these people have mini marts in their basements. It's addicting.

There is nothing like going into a store and standing in line watching as the total climbs higher and higher and then, drops dramatically.

But on a more serious note, I don't do it for the rush. I do it because I have a single income family. My husband's been unemployed for a while and every month we would struggle to provide the basic necessities for our family. You never realize how important toilet paper is until there's one roll left and still about a week and a half until payday.

In the month or so since I've started clipping coupons and shopping for sales, I have managed to turn so much of my worries off. I can open my linen closest and see enough toilet paper to last a while, I can look under my bathroom sink and not have to worry about running out of shampoo, conditioner, soap or toothpaste. I can open my cabinets and not have to worry about how I'm going to feed my child. For once, I'm not stressing about simple things. My cabinets are full to capacity for the first time EVER.

Not only that, but I've had money left over. Extra money! That never happens. We live paycheck to paycheck (on a good week!) but for the first time in a long time, we've had money left over - we can go to a movie or splurge on a new game or toy. It's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails