Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Lives We Touch

There's some theory that says something along the lines that everyone and everything is six or less steps away from any other person in the world. Basically that you can connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.

They call this six degrees of separation.

It's hard to believe that we are so closely entwined with one another. But I guess we are. Over the last few years, I've heard so many stories from my clients, people whose families, children and even pets I've photographed. Stories about how their children are such a bless because they almost didn't make it to their first birthday to families being photographed and the father passed away a week later.

A few weeks ago I photographed a coworkers sister and her grandson. My coworkers sister was diagnosed with stage iv breast cancer that had pretty much taken over her body. At the time of the session, I struggled through it at certain times because of my own families situation and at one point I had to leave the room because my emotions overcame me.

To see how well my coworker handled her sister's diagnosis and how much they loved each other, well it broke my heart to see them all suffering.

I learned today that she passed away this week. I cried when I told my husband. To know that I was one of the last people to capture this woman's personality and spunk. It broke my heart.

I never knew this woman on a personally level, I didn't know her hopes or her dreams, I didn't know her darkest secrets or her dreams for her children. But I know this: She had a sister who loved her, a great nephew who adored her, and has a picture in her wedding gown that is the same as her mothers. I know she battled cancer only briefly and I know she will be missed by her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails