Thursday, January 28, 2016

Ashes in the Morning

I think I realized something last night.

I'm a shite writer.

Not in the way you think. I think I'm an okay-ish writer. I can write a story that's mildly entertaining. I'm shite in the way that I cannot for the life of me, rewrite or edit.

My books are my babies. I know they are chock full of grammatical errors, and poor descriptive writing, and over used phrases...oh jeez, you name it, it's probably in there.

I attribute most of this to the fact that these were my first experiences in story telling. I had no idea what I was doing and people were reading and telling me how much they loved the story, so I rolled with it.

I know so much more now. I know what I do wrong, thanks to autocrit (read all about that here) but you know what, I have learned SO MUCH from that site. I get a little giddy when I submit new material and it comes back with very little errors. I sit here rocking out to Wiz Khalifa (me and the wiz can get some writing done...don't judge me, we all have our vices and I gave up smoking last year, so I need something) and pat myself on the head all, well done you like.

So that being said, you know the whole, shite editor/rewriter, I put the story I was working on away for now and started something new last night.

To be honest, I cannot even tell you where the idea came from. Something on TV, I presume, because when I wrote last nights blog post I was stretched out on the couch watching old Criminal Minds reruns.

The idea came to me like they always do...little whispers in my head. And boy, let me tell you, I snatched that idea out of my subconscious and held onto it like my  10 month old holds on to her cheerio container. Sticky fingered and stubbornly refusing to let it go.

I gave said 10 month old a bath and kept repeating it over and over again in my head, because let's face it, my memory is shot. Normally, the stories don't stick and I wind up forgetting and getting frustrated with myself for forgetting. This one, though, it stuck.

I started writing as soon as the baby went to bed, around 7 last night, until 3 this morning. Have I mentioned I don't/can't sleep?

This is why.

So anywho, I hopped onto Wattpad and just went to town, wrote a shite description and went for it. I googled music that would form my playlist, created my cover photo, and searched for a title.

I like borrowing my titles from songs. (Sorry songwriters!) I looked at lyrics and listened to songs until I found something that encompassed the idea I was looking for.

Ashes in the Morning.

It's part of a Gram Parson's song titled We'll Sweep The Ashes Out In The Morning. Something about the lyrics got me, the wheels started turning, and bam! a story was born.

And I love the title...Ashes in the Morning. Considering what the story is about (old lovers resurfacing, potentially cheating on your husband, etc) it's so fitting. When you think about it, even if you never have intercourse with a person who is not your spouse there is a litany of things you could still do that would destroy your marriage. Some people do them any way, and it sets your relationship on fire and when it burns all your left with are the ashes of what once was.

So yeah...that's my new story...and I think I even wrote a pretty decent description.





The past has arrived, unwelcome, at Ella Dalton's door in the form of a message through a popular social media website. After four years, Ella's ex, Jamie, has reached out to her, offering her the only words she's longed to hear from him since the events of the night that drove them apart: I'm sorry.

Unable to resist the pull he’s always had on her, she agrees to meet with him, for closure, she tells herself, despite knowing that as far as Jamie’s concerned she’ll never find closure; only a long list of unfulfilled wants and desires that her husband Luke, can’t seem to fulfill.

What’s supposed to be a cordial, solitary, meeting of old friends, topples dangerously toward a devastating tryst that could ruin not only her marriage, but her heart as well. Ella is now faced with a decision; stay with what she knows, what’s safe – her husband and her life as she knows it- or take the plunge, leave her husband, take a risk, do something crazy for once in her boring life.

If you're interested in reading it, you can find the story here:

https://www.wattpad.com/story/61197999-ashes-in-the-morning






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails