Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tunes I Heart This Week






Much like the last installment of tunes I heart...I have had the pleasure of uncovering some very awesome new bands/songs. It was hard this time. The list started out with 100 songs. I narrowed it down to 20 or so that I really loved, but I figured throwing 20 songs at you was a bit much so I narrowed it down to 12. 12 is a good number. On average, a CD has 12 songs...so without further ado, here we go.

12. Wakey!Wakey! This band is awesome and Mike Grubbs, the lead singer, is totally adorable, even if he does look like Grizzly Adams. And not to mention they get major kudos because I LOVE the name of their CD: Almost Everything I wish I'd Said The Last Time I Saw You.  They have quite a few songs on the list so bear with me. The first one to make the list is Car Crash. This one is a bit melancholy, the simple piano accompaniment makes it sad..not to mention the lyrics are beautiful and the eventual violin that joins in...gah it almost breaks my heart..
Best Line:
I take off my shoes, I let the flames crawl up and burn right through me. I'm silent as a movie, I always thought you knew me better. At least you were thrown clear, cause I'm still stuck in here

11. The Rescues. Their song, Crazy Ever After was once featured on an episode of Grey's Anatomy. I found them on NoiseTrade.com the other day and instantly fell in love with this song. It could be a song from one of my stories...I tend to lean toward music that summarizes what I'm writing...this is definitely in that category. 
Best Line:
Stay (stay, stay), everything is wrong without you. Stay (stay, stay), my whole world's a wreck, oh will you save me now (save me now) or leave me crazy ever after.

10. Green River Ordinance. Comcast's music channels like to shove their song Come On, down my throat, however, I have a different song of theirs for the list. The acoustic version of Piece It Together. I actually used this one as a chapter title for a story (see, I told you I like songs to go with my stories). The lead singer has a nice voice...sounds like someone else, but at this moment I can't place my finger on who exactly he sounds like.
Best Line:
And this so familiar road, it carries me back home, past a city in a sign to you. And this so familiar smell of the summer in the air is something beautiful quite unusual tonight. 

9. Britt Nicole. I love this girl's music. My friend Jenn first told me about her and I have since fallen in love. Her song Have Your Way comforts me beyond belief. It reaffirms that God is in control and that whatever happens is what He wants to happen and He does it because He knows you can handle it. 
Best Line:
But you promised you'd take care of me, so I'll stop searching for the answers, I'll stop praying for an escape, I'll trust you God with where I am and believe you will have your way, just have your way.

8. City & Colour. A few days ago I got an email from a reader who said to listen to this song, Hello, I'm In Delaware - she was listening to it when my main characters husband died after a battle with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I googled and listened to the song, crying like a baby as it played.  It's hard to pick a line that best describes the song because the song is that darn good. But I'll try and you'll just have to take my word for it and go google it. You won't be disappointed.
Best Line:
My body aches and it hurts to say that no one is moving and I wish that I weren't here tonight but this is my life and I will see you again, I will see you again a long time from now.

7. Sons of Sylvia. I first heard of these guys when they did a duet with Carrie Underwood for a song called What Can I Say? Well the other night they performed, Love Left To Lose on American Idol and I was like "Train Wreck!" but I googled their CD anyway because I really liked their song with Carrie. The CD was much better than I expected and Love Left To Lose gets stuck in my head quite frequently, but there is another song on their CD that I adore more: Long Beach. The guys might be country, but this song definitely doesn't have the cliched twangy country sound. It's the new style of country much like Danny Gokey (did you check out his song Tiny Life?) or Kieth Urban. 
Best Line:
But an earthquake made my heart break now it's too late it's all gone, it's all gone, it's all gone.

6. Wakey!Wakey! I told you they had a couple of songs. This one is called Almost Everything and I have no idea why I like it. It resembles something by The Airborne Toxic Event and I love their music..anywhoo..
Best Line:
So you miss the feeling when you step outside, yeah your  mind comes all untied and then you open your eyes and you don't feel lonely, see it feels bad now but its gonna get better someday

5. Parmore. Heard this song on an episode of The Vampire Diaries and it's been stuck in my head ever since. Brick By Boring BrickParamore high. Loving it! I think what I love the most about this song is the fact that, to me, it sounds like the destruction of a fairy tale..maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not...who knows ;)
Best Line:
Keep your feet on the ground when your head's in the clouds
 
4. We Are The Fallen. My friend Chris had made a comment about their cover of Madonna's Like a Prayer and Chris has interesting taste in music so I googled them. Turns out the lead singer is Carly Smithson from American Idol a few years back. She (I guess) formed a band with some members of Evanescence and tada here is We Are The Fallen. Bury Me Alive sounds like something Evanescence would have done, but I suppose that's to be expected when you have two members of the group in your new band. Whatever..not like I care..the song rocks.
Best Line:
All I did was love you, and now I hate the nightmare you've become. I can't let you fool me, I won't need you again.

3. Christina Aguilera. The other day CafeMom was hating on the video for her new song, Not Myself Tonight, which seems like it was inspired by something Lady Gaga would do. It was racy and risque and if I'm being honest, very sexual. If I was a dude I would have been drooling all over my keyboard. Heck, I'm a chick and I was like wow, that's hot. I know the issue is that X-Tina's a mom, and she's doing this video...me personally, I say go for it girl. For having a two year old she looks great and its like that old saying says, "if you got it flaunt it." I'm trying to find the edited version of the song...I don't think I really want my seven year old saying, "Well if you don't like it F&ck you." 
Best Line:
I'm out of character, I'm in rare form and if you really knew me, you'd know its not the norm

2. Taio Cruz. I'm on a sorta poppy/hip-hoppy kick. I don't like much but the stuff I do like is relatively clean and not so nasty. I know the Christina song above says the F-word but without it, the song isn't so vulgar...you don't really know what she's talking about unless you're an adult. Taio Cruz's Break Your Heart is so catchy I just want to dance whenever I hear it. And he doesn't curse (at least not in my version) or call women derogatory names. I know there's another version ( with Ludacris) but I don't have that nor have I heard it..so I'm going off what I have. 
Best Line:
I'm only gonna break break your break break your heart

1.  Wakey!Wakey! The lead singer, Michael Grubbs is on One Tree Hill. He plays the bartender, Grubbs, and Miranda - the bitchy record label chick, has been trying all season to get him to sign a deal with her to make a record. He gives in and starts to record a CD then Miranda (who is British) finds out she's being deported and in a move a la The Proposal, Grubbs asks Miranda to marry him. She of course says no, so Grubbs writes this song, Dance So Good, for her. If you didn't love Grubbs before that then you do now. He started singing to her and she melted..it was so sweet (yeah, yeah shut up I know it's just a TV show..lol)
Best Line:
So tell me why we're talking when we dance so good and you know you can't stay but I wish you would. Yeah I wish you would, yeah I wish you would.

So to recap:
12. Wakey!Wakey! - Car Crash
11. The Rescues - Crazy Ever After
10.Green River Ordinance - Piece It Together (Acoustic)
9. Britt Nicole - Have Your Way
8.City & Colour - Hello I'm In Delaware
7. Sons of Sylvia - Long Beach
6. Wakey!Wakey! - Almost Everything
5. Paramore - Brick By Boring Brick
4. We Are The Fallen - Bury Me Alive
3. Christina Aguilera - Not Myself Tonight
2. Taoi Cruz - Break Your Heart
1. Wakey!Wakey! - Dance So Good

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails