Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Character Interview

This is the character interview Sparkling Citrus did with the character Paul from Coffee and Cigarettes

1.           Someone once said that people usually move to small towns to run away from something; such as the case with Leah. Do you think that’s true of most people?

Movies and television shows would like for you to believe that people who move to small towns are running from something, but I think most of the time if they are moving to a small town it’s because they need a change of pace or scenery.

2.           One of the first things you noticed about Leah was that she was pretty despite her attitude. Did you see it as a challenge to tame her or a pity that she wasn’t a kinder person?

I wasn’t trying to “tame” her, I’m not Shakespeare. I was just trying to be myself, be nice to someone I was going to live next door to. I also thought it was sad that she let her ex get the better of her, and became so angry about it.

3.           What was it about Leah that made you decide to pursue her, even with her whiplash like attitude?

Even under her attitude, her anger and her ability to isolate herself, something about her called to me. It was kind of like she wanted help even if she didn’t say. She needed someone to be nice to her just to prove that there were still decent men in the world, that not everyone was out to get her, that people could care about her without wanting anything in return. And she was just so damn pretty.

4.           Did you ever understand why Angela waiting until your wedding day to tell you she was in love with someone else?

I will never understand that, but part of me respects her for it I guess. She could have waited until after we were already married. Then again on the flip side she could have just told me and saved everyone involved a lot of grief and heartache. And aggravation.

5.           Do you think throwing out everything that reminded you of Angela really help you?

Of course not, but it did help me focus on other things. Without her presence constantly reminding me of what happened, I found it easier not to think about her.

6.           Do you think your substituting your pain with your attraction to Leah?

No. I know Leah isn’t Angela. They aren’t anything alike. Leah is a spitfire where Angela is a docile. I’ve acknowledged what Angela did to me, I’ve worked through the pain and I’m ready to move on.

7.           What drew you to Leah?

Well first there was the physical attraction, but as I got to know her, I saw flashes of the person she probably used to be before her ex did a number on her. I was curious, I wanted to know who she was, what made her tick and why.

8.           Would you ever use her as a model for your photographs?

It’s a possibility. I photograph things that inspire me, things I find beautiful.

9.           If things keep progressing with Leah, do you still plan on going back to Seattle when the summer is over?

I don’t think I’ll go back to Seattle. It has little to do with my relationship with Leah and more to do with the fact that I feel like I belong in Capeside. I spent many summers here, and those summers here helped define me as a person. I always felt welcome and at home in Capeside.

10.        Where do you hope to be in 5 years time?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t think I want to be married, I don’t think I could go through that again, the fear has me there. If I had to hope to be anywhere, I hope to be happy. That’s all a person can really hope for at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails